Two Poems from Two Drunken Poets

The following translations were done for an anthology of musical compositions, each musical piece having had its inspiration from a poem that takes 'drunkenness' as both poetic inspiration and theme.

The musical anthology should be published soon; until then, this is my small contribution.

Li Shangyin "Drunk with Flowers"  

Whilst I hunt for blooms to see, I feel as if on nectar I had drunk.
My back finds rest against a tree; my eyes droop; the sun has sunk.
My guests are gone; my spirits, sobered; and fallen has the night.
Yet I linger, red flame in hand, to drink in last flowers by candle light


Li Bai (or Li Po) "Drinking with a Mountain Hermit"

We two share drinks among the mountain blooms
One cup, two cups, yet one cup more
Drunk, I rest, while we part until the morrow
But O', mind you, do bring yourself and your guitar


0 comments: